The Dressmaker is now a major motion picture starring Kate Winslet and Liam Hemsworth
Tilly Dunnage has come home to care for her mad old mother. She left the small Victorian town of Dungatar years before and became an accomplished couturier in Paris. Now she earns her living making exquisite frocks for the people who drove her away when she was ten. Through the long Dungatar nights, she sits at her sewing machine, planning revenge.
The Dressmaker is a modern Australian classic, much loved for its bittersweet humour. Set in the 1950s, its subjects include haute couture, love and hate, and a cast of engagingly eccentric characters.
The major motion picture also stars Judy Davis, Hugo Weaving, and extras from the author’s hometown of Jerilderie.
- Worldwide film première, 2015 Toronto International Film Festival
- Film rights awarded Film Art Media (2010)
- Finalist, State Library of Victoria’s Most Popular Novel (2007)
- Shortlisted, The Christina Stead Prize for Fiction (2001)
- Shortlisted, Book of the Year Award – Booksellers Association (2001)
- Featured, CAE Book Club List
- Prescribed, VCE Literature List
- Bestseller, The Age Fiction List